Fort Lauderdale Hurricane Insurance Lawyers
Helping You Seek Fair Compensation from Your Insurance Company
Florida is known for its wild weather. In 2018, residents of Florida received 13 percent of all the insurance money paid out for catastrophes. Disaster insurance is a must, and when you submit a claim, you need to feel confident that your carrier will come through to help you get back to life as soon as possible.
If your claim was denied, you need help from Fort Lauderdale hurricane insurance lawyers who have experience holding these carriers accountable. At the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A., our team has the knowledge and insights to fight for your full and fair compensation.
What Is Covered Under Hurricane Insurance?
Hurricanes can cause extensive damage to property and may leave homeowners with an overwhelming amount of repairs in their wake. Because of this, it is required for all homeowners in Florida to include hurricane coverage on their insurance plans.
Hurricane insurance generally includes coverage for the following types of damage:
- Damaged roofing
- Damaged floors
- Broken windows
- Damage from debris
- Damaged garages
- Moisture damage
Put a Former Insurance Attorney on Your Side
Having worked to defend the interests of insurers in the past, our founding attorney,John Ameen, is well-versed in the tactics these entities use to avoid paying out a fair settlement to their clients. We are here to listen and help you. Our team understands how important it is for you to get your life and home back together, and we are ready to stand with you through the uncertainty of the claims filing process.
Have your claim represented by a licensed attorney who is a former contractor of 18 years! Our legal team has decades of combined experience representing insurance claims.
We have experience handling claims involving an array of complex issues, including but not limited to:
- Federal flood insurance
- Maritime insurance claims for insured vessels
- Renters’ insurance claims
- Alternate living experience claims
- Personal property damage claims
- Auto and vehicle damage claims
- Personal property claims
Important Steps to Take After a Hurricane
If you want to recover compensation after a hurricane, you need to do the following things:
- Locate All of Your Policies: You need to find the documents and read the details of each insurance policy you have, such as homeowners’, flood, and automobile insurance.
- List and Photograph Damaged Property: You will need evidence of the damage to your property, so take clear pictures or record a video showing everything that sustained damage during the hurricane. You can download the MyHome Scr.APP.book to organize and capture images, descriptions, bar codes, and serial numbers of your valuable assets and property.
- Contact Your Insurers: Some insurance policies have a limited timeframe for filing a property damage claim. This is why you need to you quickly report the damage or file your claim as soon as possible. However, you should first consult with an experienced lawyer to discuss what to expect when you contact the insurer.
- Cover Any Exposed Property Damage: If you want to prevent more damage to your property and valuable belongings, you need to cover the affected areas. Take out any items that have suffered water damage so that mold doesn’t spread to other areas of your home. Make sure you document anything that is removed from your home and do not throw anything away until the insurance adjuster has a chance to see it and include it in their report.
What Happens If You Don’t Have Flood Insurance During a Hurricane?
While most homeowners’ insurance and/or additional hurricane insurance policies will cover wind- and other storm-related damage, they may not cover flood damage. In fact, purchasing specific flood insurance is typically the only way to cover your property in the event of major flooding and water damage. But what happens if you don’t have flood insurance during a hurricane?
Fortunately, there are several options for homeowners who experience water damage due to significant flooding during a hurricane, tropical storm, or similar disaster.
These options include:
- FEMA Disaster Grant: If your home is located in a recognized disaster area (which is usually the case in the event of a hurricane), you may be eligible for the FEMA Individuals and Households Program. This is a federal grant provided to those whose homes are damaged by flooding, rendering them inhabitable. The purpose of these grants is to cover the cost of damage not covered by flood insurance; however, anyone may apply, regardless of whether they have flood insurance or not. FEMA grants can officially be given in any amount up to $33,000, but they are often much lower. It is important to note that these grants are only intended to help you restore your home to a hospitable level—not to its pre-hurricane condition.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loans: If you are ineligible for a FEMA disaster grant or if the damage exceeds the maximum FEMA grant amount, you can apply for a homeowners’ disaster loan from the SBA. Like any loan, SBA disaster loans must be paid back, but they tend to have low interest rates and extensive repayment periods (sometimes up to 30 years). The benefit of SBA disaster loans is that they can be used for a broad range of things, including repairs to a damaged home or vehicle. However, these loans cannot be used to make upgrades or enhancements to your property.
If you would like to learn more about your options or whether you should apply for a FEMA disaster grant of an SBA disaster loan, please contact the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A. to speak to one of our hurricane insurance claim attorneys today.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
Fighting insurance companies is a long, difficult undertaking and making even small mistakes can greatly affect your chances of obtaining the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. The Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A. offers personalized representation to guide you through this process. From the discovery of the relevant facts of your case through tenacious litigation, we can help you fight for the best possible outcome for your situation. Call today and get started.
“My family loves John as our lawyer.”- Yvolon
“Great personal injury attorney.”- Anthony
“John Ameen is a great attorney who wins.”- Cindy
Experienced Former Insurance Defense Attorneys on Staff
Spanish & Creole Language Options Available for Clients
Direct Attorney Access, Flexible Hours & 24/7 Call Answering
Millions of Dollars Recovered from Insurance Companies
Personal, Individualized Attention for Each of Our Clients
Passion for Making Sure that Every Client is Compensated Fairly
Let us help you recover the financial compensation you need to get your life back on track. Schedule a Free Consultation - Programe un consulta gratis - Fè yon konsiltasyon gratis.