Fort Lauderdale Boat Accidents Lawyers
Serving Broward County & Palm Beach County
With miles of coastline, lakes, canals, and inland waterways combined with the year-round boating opportunity provided by our temperate weather, boating accidents are everyday occurrences in Florida. Like in any other case, injuries can range from the mild to fatal. Drowning deaths are unfortunately sometimes a consequence of a boating accident.
If the accident was caused by another person or party’s careless, reckless, or wrongful actions, you can seek fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. In most cases, determining the cause of the accident will reveal whether another party was negligent and whether you are eligible for compensation.
Whether you were involved in a personal watercraft collision or slipped and fell on the deck of a cruise ship, you shouldn’t have to suffer the consequences of someone else’s negligence on your own. If you have been involved in a boat accident, get help from the Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A. We offer free consultations to help you obtain the compensation you need to recover.
Dial (800) 953-2858 now or contact the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A. online to get started on building your case.
What Causes Boat Accidents?
Accidents can happen when you least expect it, whether you are on the lake or cruising international waters. These accidents can result in serious injuries and, in tragic cases, they can even be fatal.
Some of the most common causes of boating collisions and accidents include:
- Alcohol Use: Operating any type of water vessel while under the influence of alcohol is not only dangerous, it is also illegal. Unfortunately, many boaters mix drinking and a day on the water.
- Distractions: Just like a distracted motorist, a distracted boater can cause serious accidents on the water. Boat operators are often distracted by passengers, including those being towed on water skis or wakeboards, as well as a number of other distractions, such as cell phones.
- Excessive Speed: Boat operators are required to operate vessels at safe speeds. Traveling at excessive speeds can cause boaters to lose control and hit other vessels, docks, and other hazards. Speed-related boating collisions are often some of the most devastating.
- Inexperienced Operators: Florida does not require boaters to obtain a special boat “license.” As a result, there are many inexperienced boaters who may make disastrous mistakes or violate waterway laws.
- Failure to Follow Regulations: Florida has many boating regulations in place to protect the safety of boaters, swimmers, and others sharing our many waterways. When boaters fail to follow these regulations, it can lead to devastating and even deadly accidents.
- Improper Lookout: Boat operators must keep a proper lookout for swimmers, paddle boarders, personal watercraft operators, and other people and hazards in the water. Failure to do so can—and often does—have severe and fatal consequences.
While these represent some of the most common causes of boat accidents, this is not a complete list. A boat accident can result from nearly countless circumstances, including unsafe waters, machinery failure, or improper maintenance.
Regardless of what happened, if your injuries or the death of your loved one was caused by someone else’s negligence or unlawful behavior, our Fort Lauderdale boat accident attorneys can help.
Who Is Liable for Boat Accidents?
In the case of personal watercraft accidents involving recreational boats, jet skis, and other similar watercraft, the negligent individual is typically legally liable for the injured victim’s damages. However, this is not always the case. If the accident was caused by a defective part or faulty machinery, the manufacturer and/or distributor may be liable.
Liability in boat accident cases quickly becomes even more complex when there are multiple parties and/or vessels involved or when the vessels involved are commercial boats/watercraft. For example, bringing a claim for an injury that occurred on a chartered fishing boat or cruise ship will likely involve taking action against the company that owns and/or operates the vessel.
Because the cruise ship industry has a large presence in Florida, it is important that your legal representative be able to navigate through issues raised by Federal maritime law and the ticket contract itself. Most cruise ship ticket contracts contain shortened statutes of limitations in addition to notice provisions that can defeat a claim if not followed.
In any case, it’s important that you discuss your situation with an experienced boat accident attorney. Our firm understands how to navigate the legal system, as well as how to seek full compensation for all of your damages, both current and future. Reach out to us today for a free consultation to learn more about how our lawyers can assist you.
The boating accident attorneys at the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A. have several convenient locations in South Florida including:
- Boca Raton
- Boynton Beach
- Coral Springs
- Fort Lauderdale
- West Palm Beach
Let us help you get the representation you need to recover from damages sustained in a boat accident. If you have been injured in a boating, cruise ship, wave runner, or jet ski accident, call us for a free consultation.
Dial (800) 953-2858 now to get started on your case. We offer services in Spanish and Creole.
“My family loves John as our lawyer.”- Yvolon
“Great personal injury attorney.”- Anthony
“John Ameen is a great attorney who wins.”- Cindy
Experienced Former Insurance Defense Attorneys on Staff
Spanish & Creole Language Options Available for Clients
Direct Attorney Access, Flexible Hours & 24/7 Call Answering
Millions of Dollars Recovered from Insurance Companies
Personal, Individualized Attention for Each of Our Clients
Passion for Making Sure that Every Client is Compensated Fairly
Let us help you recover the financial compensation you need to get your life back on track. Schedule a Free Consultation - Programe un consulta gratis - Fè yon konsiltasyon gratis.